You don’t have to be a health or fitness company to recognize the value of having healthy snacks at the office. Because people are at the heart of every business, what’s good for people is good for productivity — and healthy snacks are one effective way to nourish and care for your staff. From fresh fruit to raw vegetables to whole-grain crackers, offering snacks that are good for the body is a great way to improve your office culture and let your workers know you care.
What are the benefits of providing quality snacks in the office kitchen? Why should you consider keeping healthy snacks on hand? Here are some good reasons.
- Empowers your team. At its most foundational level, food is fuel. People need it in order to stay focused, productive, energetic and happy. When you provide healthy snacks for team members, they have access to the fuel needed to perform to their potential. You are nourishing their bodies with foods that empower them to complete their goals. Essentially, healthy snacks can keep your workers feeling good so they’re better able to focus on the tasks at hand.
- Promotes health and wellness. Healthy snacks advocate healthy bodies, and healthy bodies can be good for your business bottom line. Healthy workers are less likely to be absent, distracted on projects and/or fall behind on assignments. By providing healthy snacks at the office, you are helping your employees help you.
- Communicates appreciation. An employee is more likely to thrive in an environment of appreciation as compared to an environment of criticism, so use food to show appreciation to your team. Provide snacks for your staff, and let them know they matter to you. Healthy snacks, in particular, communicate appreciation because they show that you value employees’ overall well-being in addition to their work.
- Encourages bonding in the office. There’s no denying that food brings people together. Provide healthy snacks in the office kitchen or break room, and you naturally facilitate conversations, interaction and bonding in the workplace. Why does this matter? The better your employees work together, the more naturally they can collaborate, share ideas and build your business as a team.
- Keeps up with the competition. In today’s business world, more and more companies are offering extras to their employees. This means, if you want to attract the best talent in your industry, you need to keep up with this trend — offering your team members a certain level of workplace perks. Healthy snacks are a great way to set your company apart as a great place to work and an employer to choose.
When you want to take your business culture up a notch, start by thinking about your employees. Any way you can improve the workplace environment — even with something as simple as healthy snacks — is a step in the right direction. Let your workers know you’re thinking about their overall health and well-being, and you will communicate that you’re a company worth sticking with for the long haul.